Publish your CarmenCanvas course
Publish your CarmenCanvas course and use Carmen as a class hub for instructions and communications with your students. Review this video introduction for setting up your Carmen course.
Carmen Key Three
Once your course is published, continue building by focusing on three essential areas. Review your syllabus and be sure it is uploaded in the Syllabus section of your course. Be sure all course materials are available and organized logically in Modules. Organize your gradebook, and be sure to regularly post grades for assignments and assessments. Learn how to complete each of these essential Carmen activities by reviewing the videos and linked articles.
1. Revise and upload your syllabus
2. Organize your course materials
3. Organize your gradebook
and familiarize yourself with Zoom
CarmenZoom is Ohio State’s academic web conferencing tool. You can use Zoom to record lectures and share with students, communicate with students in real-time, hold small group meetings and discussions and much more. The ODEE Resource Center can help you get started with Zoom, learn tips for hosting meetings, and follow cybersecurity best practices. All instructors and students have access to this tool, and it is compatible with a wide range of devices, making it easy to keep teaching and keep connected. View this video introduction of Zoom's capabilities.
New! We are now offering a library of Zoom backgrounds to help you tap into your Buckeye pride. The Zoom backgrounds are available to download from the osu.edu site. These backgrounds are available to the public, enabling students, faculty, staff, alumni and fans to all have access to the collection.
Be sure to communicate with your students early and often. Post an announcement in your CarmenCanvas course (or send an email) to connect with them and to share your plans and expectations for the semester. Stay in contact with your students to ensure they have what they need to continue learning, because your presence is crucial for their success.
You should also share the following resources in your Carmen course so students can refer back to them when they have questions:
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center's Cornavirus Outbreak site includes the latest information about COVID-19 as well as guidance for students, faculty and staff.
- The Keep Learning site includes tips and resources to help students make the shift to online learning, addressing strategies for success as well as technology tools.
- The Office of Student Life's "We Are Here For You" page includes several resources to support students' mental, physical and financial health.